Friday, August 26, 2011

The Greatest Story of Them All

I am actually borrowing a blog idea that I’ve seen a few times.  I saw it again on a post Tess did, and thought it was a good idea, and it gave me the motivation to do the same.  I have seen it on other posts as well, and in books, so I thought I would give it a try.  Thanks for posting yours again Tess, and giving me this idea!!! I really loved reading yours! :)


It’s like a birth story, and it will basically describe my experience, my thoughts, my feelings….basically, anything and everything to do with it.  Here. We. Go. :)



I really only read one pregnancy book, “What to Expect When You’re Expecting,” but, I consider myself an internet guru.  I looked up anything and everything about pregnancy.  My mom always made fun of me because I was always telling her something new I had read online.  I wouldn’t say I read a lot about the labor portion, but I felt like I was prepared enough for that day.  I knew I was all for getting an epidural, so I wasn’t too worried.  I felt confident, strong, and ready for that day.


I got put on bed rest the start of my 39th week due to high blood pressure and severe swelling.  The real kicker:  nothing was progressing!! I wasn’t dilated or effaced at all.  The doctor did a few ultrasounds, and Ryder was in position ready to go….but it just wasn’t happening.  Talk about frustrating!!


So, for one week, I sat on my butt and watched a lot of TV.  I went and saw the doctor once more that week, and he said we would wait until my 40 week appt to make any decisions, because there was still no progression.  It took FOREVER for Monday to arrive…..


But it finally came!!  Darren came with for the 40 week appt.  We packed my bag in the car, just in case.  Let’s just say I had some nasty road rage on the way to Bloomington…meaning my blood pressure was off the charts.  I think it was 160/120…something like that.  Well, the doctor wanted me to go to labor and delivery to be admitted because of the blood pressure and swelling issues.  He made the decision to do a C-section because of what was going on. My heart started racing! I was going to be a mommy in a few hours!!!!  Too bad I had eaten breakfast, so they had to wait awhile to do the C-section.  Bummer….


At this point, I wasn’t too worried….just stressed.  The nurse wouldn’t let me play on my phone, watch TV, or do anything “fun” to pass the time.  She made me lay in the dark with the fetal monitor attached to my belly, and told me I needed to relax because of my blood pressure.  I just wanted to say “Lady…none of this is helping.  I need to keep myself entertained!!!”  I would sneak in some phone time, and when I did, my blood pressure was fine.  Oh well…


5pm rolls around, and they start getting me ready.  Did I mention they put in my catheter before being numbed by the spinal? NOT A GOOD FEELING!!! I could tell Darren was getting anxious…..so was I!  It was finally time to head to the OR, and I could barely walk! I was shaking from excitement, nervousness, and because it was dang cold in that room.  They gave me the spinal, laid me back, and got started.


 I remember the feeling…it was surreal.  The doctors were literally jumping on me to get Ryder out.  He hadn’t really dropped much, and was still up pretty high.  They got him out in about 5 minutes, and hearing his little cry brought tears to my eyes.  Thinking of that moment still gives me goose bumps and butterflies in my stomach and gets me very emotional.  I couldn’t wait to see him!!  I got one quick glimpse, and he was and still is the most beautiful person/thing I’ve ever seen.  Love at first sight for sure!  But, they whisked Ryder and Darren away…and I was alone with the docs.

They started stapling me back together, and I remember feeling very impatient.  I wanted to see my baby!!!  This probably took another 20 minutes, but it felt like an hour.  They finally rolled me back into the recovery room, and I got to see my little guy!! All was right in the world…or so I thought. 

The pain started after that.  It hurt to breathe, it hurt to move, it hurt to laugh, it hurt to talk….ugh.  It was well worth it, but I wasn’t expecting it.  The pain meds didn’t help at all, and I remember the nurse telling me she would be back in the room to check on me, and then get me up to move at 4am.  Yeah….I didn’t sleep because I was dreading that moment.  It hurt SO BAD to get up! But, I did it…over and over and over.  It got easier each time.

Poor Darren, he got to witness all of this, including the nurses cleaning me off, getting me up, cleaning me off some more because of all of the blood….it was embarrassing.  This is another thing I wasn’t really expecting.  There was a lot of bleeding.  I thought it may not be as bad because I had a C-section….yeah, not so much…..still a lot of bleeding coming from a not so pleasant area.  Use your imagination..I really don't want to say the word on here...I'm trying to be as lady-like as possible...haha.


Three days later once I was home, I was moving around pretty well, but tried not to over-do it.  I think I still did too much, because I couldn’t move very well by the end of the day, but I didn’t care.  Ryder was more than worth it!!  He still is! J


So, that was my experience.  What’s up now? My stomach is like gelatin.  It used to be one solid piece of fat, haha.  Now, it molds and moves wherever it wants.  I’ve heard it doesn’t matter how big or small you are….it still gets jiggly!  Even though the baby weight is gone, I still feel like a Jell-O jiggler.


What’s even more important?  I have a wonderful family, including my beautiful baby boy that made this whole experience worth it!!  I can’t wait to do it again! J



Thanks for reading my experience.  It felt good to blog this all out….I got to go through it all again in my head, and re-live it all over again!  It definitely put a smile on my face.


Have a good Friday night, and thanks for reading!!

3 comments:

Kendra said...

My oldest is seven and I could still write her story... these things you never forget. And I love reading others stories!

Tess Weber-Popejoy said...

Love it! I don't think anyones tummy ever looks the same after that!

Sara said...

Kendra--I'm sure it's something I'll never forget :)

Tess--probably not, and I can't think of a better reason for the tummies to look different :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...