Monday, December 5, 2011

"A Movement for Rosa"

Most nights on my drive home from work from Bloomington, I listen to the radio.  Other nights, I choose a CD to listen to.  Some of you may not know this, but I am a HUGE fan of classical music.  Being in band for 7 years will do that to you.  It's probably my favorite genre of music.

Tonight on my drive home, I chose to listen to a CD.  The CD that happened to be in the changer was one I had dubbed "movie themes" but it was so much more than that.  It also included some of my favorite pieces of music that I had played while being in band.  What's better than listening to the themes from "Apollo 13," "Batman," "Dragonheart," and "E.T.", followed up with some of my other classical favs?  Little did I know how much emotion this CD would bring on my drive home....

On this particular CD is a piece that I played in my 8th grade year during an All-District concert.  It is called "A Movement for Rosa."  It was a piece of music written for Rosa Parks.  It's a pretty moving piece of music.  However, it moved me for a different reason tonight.

My parents were always taping my concerts, field shows, jazz shows, and whatever else I was in.  They taped this concert, and I remember hearing my Grandma Wells' voice on this tape.  Hearing this piece brought out a ton of emotions.  My Grandma passed away when I was 16....so over 10 years ago.  I still miss her everyday.  Every. Single. Day.  It reminded me how much she loved everyone in her family, and how much she adored watching her grandchildren play sports, twirl a flag, or play a piece of music at a concert.  She was always there, rooting us on.  Hearing this piece of music also reminded me she never got to meet Darren...she never got to see us get married....she never got to see Ryder after he was born...she'll never get to meet Ryder....Ryder will never know his great-grandma; he'll only know what we tell him about her.

It's a hard thing...losing a loved one.  There's been way too much sadness going around lately.  This is supposed to be a happy time of year...instead it's been terribly sad.

I guess the meaning behind this post is, you never know when you're going to be caught off guard with emotion.  I certainly didn't expect to have a good cry on my way home tonight.  It's the little things that remind me how wonderful Doris Wells was.

I love you Grandma, and miss you so much!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...