Monday, January 9, 2012

"I just felt like running."--Forrest Gump



I have been looking into different activity avenues for this whole weight loss/healthy lifestyle gig.  I think I've found one that I want to try.  It's worked for tons of people, so why not give it a try, right?  It's called The Couch to 5K Running Plan.  I don't have time to visit a gym regularly, so I rely heavily on walking for exercise.  This plan combines walking and running as one workout, three times a week.  It is an 8 week program that builds up from the previous weeks.

When I was walking a lot a few months ago, I would get the urge to run, but I would constantly stop myself, because I felt I wasn't in good enough shape to do so.  With this plan, it builds your momentum each week by adding more running to the workout.  By the end of the 8 week program, you should be able to run a 5K, or 30 minutes, depending if you're going by distance or time.

I was on the track team in junior high, but I was a sprinter.  I've never been a long distance runner.  In high school, I would work out regularly to keep in shape, especially for color guard, but again, I was more of a sprinter.  I did a lot of roller blading, bike riding, but not a whole lot of long distance running...just sprinting, since that's what I had always done.

I think with the whole long distance running concept, I am constantly psyching myself out.  I mean, come on, the terms "long distance" and "running", when used together, freak me out a little bit.  I have to get out of that mindset.  I've entered into the world of healthy eating and walking, why not running, too? 

I hope to start sometime this week, but if not this week, then next Monday for sure.  Wish me luck!  I'll be sure to post updates when I can. 

Also, I am on the hunt for new healthy recipes for all meal-times.  If anyone has any suggestions, please shoot them my way. I think Darren is tired of eating chicken and brown rice everyday. :)

Thanks for reading, and take care! :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...